There’s no doubt that buying a harness for a Golden isn’t exactly a walk in the park.
With this breed being one of the most active dogs on the planet, its a great idea to get hold of the right equipment for the job.
Today you’ll learn:
- The best harness for this breed
- What to look out for when buying
- How to properly use a harness
- And much much more!
The Best Harnesses For Golden Retrievers In 2020
|Best Overall||Rabbitgoo Dog Harness|
|Runner Up||Chai’s Choice Dog Harness|
|Best Budget Buy||RUFFWEAR Front Range Everyday No Pull Dog|
|Best Dual Clip||Noxgear LightHound|
|Best Step In Harness||PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness|
Best Overall (Editors Choice): Rabbitgoo Dog Harness
Dealing with dogs that pull on their leashes can be quite bothersome, but not with a Rabbitgoo Dog Harness. This dog harness features an easy-to-use no choke design that can be easily adjusted via its four slide straps. It is an over-the-head harness, my personal favorite style.
As the name suggests, you can easily pull this harness over the head of your dog and secure it in place using the buckles on either side of the dog’s chest.
This harness features two metal leash attachments, one in the middle of the chest and the other at the back of the harness also make it a very handy accessory for training your Golden Retriever not to pull on their leash.
Made from durable nylon oxford padded with cushion, it is not only soothing and comfortable for your dog, but equally stylish. Talking about style, it comes in four colors namely orange, green, black, and a LED light-up option.
One of the things that piqued my interest in this dog accessory is the reflective seam on the sides of the Nylon oxford material strap. These reflective seams designed for enhanced visibility make walking in the day or night easier and safer both for your Golden Retriever and you.
All its buckles can be released in simple clicks, and are very easy to operate. If you’re looking for all-day wear, this dog harness is definitely your best bet. Made from breathable mesh fabric, it is designed to give your dogs comfort all day long.
Many users would quite agree with the above suggestions, little wonder why it has a lot of positive reviews on e-commerce sites like Amazon.
- Soft padding makes it a comfortable wear for Golden Retrievers
- Unlike most dog harnesses that come with one leash attachment, this has two
- Ensures even distribution of the dog’s weight
- Offers a secure and snug fit to ensure dogs don’t easily slip out
- The reflective strips don’t show post-adjustment
Runner Up: Chai’s Choice Dog Harness
Your cuddly, cute pup might have some annoying pulling habits you are looking to nip in the bud, but using a tough dog collar is certainly not one of the ways to tame them. An ergonomically designed and comfortable dog harness like Chai’s choice is a fool-proof way of training your Golden Retriever not to pull.
A soft sponge padding and breathable mesh material add to its appeal. Your favorite pet is definitely going to feel loved using this one, as its breathable mesh gives its skin some room to breathe.
Not only is it comfortable but durable. Versatility won’t be too much of a superlative to use to describe this dog harness seeing that it comes in different colors you can pick out from to match your pet’s personality.
Chai’s choice Dog harness is the perfect choice for many Golden Retriever owners because of its handle. Using this handle, you can get better control of even the most raucous and stubborn dogs known to man.
An efficient handle like this also comes in handy when you need to guide a handicapped or ailing dog walking down a staircase. This dog harness also features two leash attachments to better handle your dog should he/she become particularly excited seeing another dog or triggered by a terrifying figure.
- Very stylish
- Easy to put on
- Fully adjustable to provide a good snug fit
- Durable, well-designed, and scratch-resistant material
- Lightweight and breathable
- Features two leash attachment points
- The straps loosen, so it’s to be adjusted
Best Budget Pick: RUFFWEAR Front Range Everyday No Pull Dog
It’s only a myth that it’s easier for your Golden Retriever to escape from a dog harness than from a collar.
Rather than opt for accessories like collars, choke chains, and martingales that choke your dog’s neck all in the name of securing him/her, why not select a more comfortable dog harness wear like the RUFFWEAR Front Range Everyday No Pull dog harness?
Not only is it comfortable for your furry friend to wear all day long, but ensures better control when you two are in the open.
I find the back-leash point attachment and the other located in the chest region very useful too. The latter is particularly useful if your Golden Retriever is big and constantly tugs or drags you when taking him/her for a walk.
If these attachments don’t impress you much, the highly adjustable straps definitely will.
There is no gainsaying that an unusually tight dog harness can cause irritation or sores on your dog’s body. A loose one can cause your dog to slip out of the harness too. The ease with which this dog harness can be adjusted is therefore a huge selling point for it.
If you love your dog as much as John Wick loved his, then this dog harness must be somewhere up your bucket list.
A reflective seam, foam padding, and storage pocket for your dog’s ID make it deserving of all the plaudits it’s getting.
- Ideal for pullers
- Soft, comfortable, and can be worn all day
- Padding is lightweight and allows your retriever’s skin to breathe.
- Durable and well-designed
- Has fun bright colors and features a reflective trim
- Ensures even distribution of your dog’s weight
- Some owners prefer the use of aluminum in the front leash attachment point, in place of the reinforced webbing
- The buckles are somewhat covered by fabric (recessed), making unbuckling the harness slightly tricky for certain owners
Best Front Clip: Copatchy No Pull Dog Harness
With many dog harnesses, it can be a tall order trying to hop it onto an excited pup set for a jolly stroll. But the Copatchy No Pull heavy-duty dog harness begs to be different. Its minimalist design makes it very easy to put on or pull off.
All you’ve got to do really is strap the bigger band about your dog’s rear legs and have the smaller strap go about his/her front legs, and you are good to go.
If you want a comfortable snug fit for your pup, look no further than this. Its incredibly comfortable sponge padding would make you fall head over heels for it.
With a breathable mesh and light-weight mesh material, it not only looks comfortable but feels comfortable. One thing I find particularly fascinating is the resilience of this light-weight mesh material.
For material that is both light and a matching low-price tag, it could pass for a knock-off of a premium product at first glance. However, it is as durable as durable can get.
I for one, also found the sturdy handle helpful. This handle is particularly helpful for rambunctious dogs. Controlling your pup with this handle is without a doubt easier and safer for your Golden Retriever than pulling it from the leash.
Even for dog owners who are a little picky about what they use on their dogs, it is practically impossible to ignore how comfortable and easy-to-use this dog harness is. Did I mention that it comes in five colors and six sizes? What’s there not to like about it?!
- Soft and comfortable wear for your dog
- Budget-friendly, yet, premium quality
- Easy to wear and take off, so no need to step in or put your dog’s head through it
- Easy to adjust
- Maker provides quality customer service
- Sturdy handle on the back affords you greater control of your dog
- Features only 1 leash attachment on the back
- Clips are made of plastic and hence, not the most suitable for very heavy pullers
- Doesn’t offer chest support
Best Back Clip: Juxzh Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness
Walking your dog is supposed to be enjoyable and not energy-zapping like it sometimes turns out to be. For this reason, Juxzh resolved to produce an ergonomically designed soft front harness that is not only comfortable for your Golden Retriever but for you as the guide as well.
One impressive thing about this soft front dog harness is its durability. A vest part made of scratch-resistant Oxford material and a buckle made from a high tensile strength material like Draflex isn’t something you will find on every harness on the market. Durable, yet, comfortable, thanks to its nylon webbing.
For a premium looking product like the Juxzh Truelove Soft Front Dog Harness, one would expect a heavy price tag, but it is pretty much budget-friendly.
I wasn’t surprised to find the two leash attachments on this like it is in most others. What caught my eye though is its effectiveness. A V-ring and circular ring on the chest is enough for you to have full control over your dog’s movement.
Along with the two leash attachments is a sturdy handle designed as a seat belt attachment. There is also a wide range of options in colors and sizes.
Juxzh truelove soft front dog harness has proven to be an asset for dog owners who want to train their dog not to pull.
- Made of durable, scratch-resistant material
- Offers different stylish colors
- Soft and comfortable for your pet to wear all day
- Can be easily put on and taken off
- Some owners have complained that the sizing is off and that it runs small
- Harness is hard to adjust at the neck region
Best Dual Clip: Noxgear LightHound
With the Noxgear lighthound dog harness, you can enjoy more time bonding with your pup rather than waste useful time dragging it from one side of the walkway to the other.
For avid lovers of Star Wars and fire-lit movies like myself, it is impossible to pass up the chance to cop a lit-up dog harness like this. The LED-light makes your Golden Retriever very visible when out for a stroll at night or in the early mornings.
In addition to this, the Noxgear Lighthound harness has eight different colors. In other words, you can have your golden retriever sport a red color today and lemon green the next day.
With about 12 hours of illumination on a single charge, there is very little you can fault in its LED system. There are also six multi-color flashing and slow fading modes.
A durable, yet, lightweight material is of course one of the several reasons why many dog owners get this for their Scot breed.
- Makes it safer to walk your Golden Retriever at night
- Machine washable
- Offers several color options and modes
- Some users say it is more of a vest than a harness
Best Step In Harness: PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness
Along with the Rabitgoo dog harness, the PetSafe remains my best for old, heavy dogs. Pretty much standard back, belly, and chest straps, its adjustability is unrivalled and streets ahead of several others in the market.
With four adjustment points, there is just about enough room to make a more custom fit on your pooch. Unlike other straps that choke the dog’s throat region, the straps on the PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness latch comfortably onto your dogs chest and belly regions.
Added to the four points of adjustment are buckles that can come off in a snap at the push of a button. Its build is also incredibly brilliant compared to its price tag. A nylon construction makes it highly resistant to scratch, wear and tear. Even with the roughest of dogs, this dog harness can last several years.
My personal favorite is the ease of putting it on. It’s no surprise considering its high adjustability and the presence of buckle straps.
Walking your Golden Retriever around should be an enjoyable experience and the PetSafe Deluxe Easy Walk Harness makes sure of this!
- The deluxe variant offers neoprene padding, providing comfort when your Golden wears it, and the padding ensures the equipment is snug fit
- Minimal design in comparison with other harnesses
- Best Lightweight and easy to wear
- Simple yet clever design
- Has no straps around the neck, hence, reducing the risk of choking or gagging the door
- Can be easily washed
- Quick snap buckles
- Fully adjustable to achieve a snug and secure fit
- Stretches out easily when wet
- Not the most ideal option for strong pulling dogs since its chest strap will loosen during pulling
Buying Guide: How to choose!
Just to help you make an easy decision, I thought I would list out a few things to consider before making a purchase.
Things To Consider When Buying A Harness
Comfort And Security
An uncomfortable strap can create all sorts of problems, including safety concerns for your dog. Asides ensuring that the dog harness is a snug fit for your Golden Retriever, also make sure it is comfortable to wear too.
Before buying a dog harness, ensure it’s a good fit for your golden retriever. This is because tight reins can cause chafing and leave your dog feeling a tad too uneasy. Getting one with multiple points of adjustment can also help a great deal.
The toughness of the dog harness isn’t something to be overlooked. You don’t want to be replacing your dog harness every now and then, do you? If not, you should only go for ones that are well-sewn and made with long-lasting materials. This way they last longer and you are assured of more control when your dog tries pulling away.
Easy To Clean
Getting a durable dog harness made from tough materials might be essential but also equally important is buying one that is easy to clean. You should consider going for dog harnesses made with breathable mesh material. Experience shows that these materials are relatively easier to clean.
Types Of Golden Retriever Harnesses
to get you up to scratch, I have listed out some of the most common harnesses you can find on the market today.
One of the most common harnesses available, they can be fastened around the chest of the dog and come with a collar-like usually hung around the neck.
Its biggest perks are that it is easy to use and relatively inexpensive.
As the name suggests, these work by allowing your Golden Retriever to get in with the buckle or snap-on top. The attachment of the leash is located on the top (back) side. This way, any pull is concentrated on the chest area rather than the neck.
- Very convenient
- More challenging to attach to larger dogs
The D-ring is located on the chest of the dog, and the loop straps around your dogs chest. Here are some of its pros:
- A Robust design
- It is easy to wear and take off
- Gives you more control over the dog
The increasingly popular Flexi harness has a mesh or poly blend material covering the dog’s chest. The cover also extends above the dog’s head and helps distribute any traction to his/her chest.
Benefits Of Using A Harness
- They’re a great training instrument for puppies that are yet to walk properly using a leash. A harness protects them from getting caught up in the leash and getting injured in the process.
- You would find a harness really helpful if you own a big or strong dog that tries to pull away from your handle more often than not. The control it gives you is unmatched by a collar or choke chain.
- Little dogs can be susceptible to injuries from tugging or pulling on the leash. A harness distributes the pressure over a greater area of the body, lessening the stress on the dog’s neck and back.
- If your dog needs some standing support after sitting or lying down, a harness will gently pull him up without causing any pain or discomfort.
- Harnesses are a perfect solution for those little dogs who are on the lead one moment, and out of their collar in the next.
5 Critical Components Of A Harness For A Golden Retriever
Which features are must-haves for your Golden Retriever harness? The following are some key features that should be present in your dog harness.
- No-pull design — Whether with a front clip ring or a different strategy to stop pulling, a no-pull heavy-duty design is proven to be helpful with young golden retrievers, who tend to be very curious – and pull firmly.
- Reflective straps or patches: Reflective materials will help improve your safety and that of your dog. It’s therefore strongly recommended that you get a harness with reflective material if you run or walk your dog frequently in low-light and heavy traffic areas.
- Strong, chew-resistant straps: If your Golden Retriever dislikes its harness, he/she might try chewing on the straps and break free. A thicker strap makes it hard for them to do this without you noticing.
- Metal buckles and fasteners: Metal fittings are a must. Golden Retrievers aren’t the biggest breeds available, but are incredibly sturdy and robust for their size. A resilient, long-lasting, and correctly-reinforced harness is vital for the safety of your puppy.
- Adjustability for a good fit: Golden Retrievers can vary in size and have sensitive skin. Therefore, consider only a dog harness that’s adjustable across the chest, abdomen, and back for a great fit. A tight fit is a perfect way to avoid skin irritation and ensure that your dog can’t escape its harness.
What To Avoid When Buying A Dog Harness
You don’t want a buckle that can break off halfway since you do not want to expose your pet to other bully’ish animals or leave it to run off into the highway. Even if it will cost you a couple of dollars more, a dog harness with a strong buckle is one purchase you are unlikely to regret.
Frequently Asked Questions
Now its time to answer your questions. There are a few things that you may have felt we didn’t cover in this article… So to ensure we touch base on just about everything there is to know, I decided to answer a few quick questions to make sure that no stone is left unturned.
What is the best harness size for my Golden Retriever?
Most online stores have a size reference chart for their listed dog harnesses. A common mistake is picking a size based on the harness’s general size rather than the dog’s size.
Measure the neck, body length, and girth of your Golden retriever and use these measurements as a reference to look up the size guide before choosing the best size.
What is the best harness to buy for my older Golden Retriever?
There are dog harnesses for older and disabled dogs. These types of harnesses sometimes provide rear or front support.
If your older Golden Retriever needs assistance getting up a car or onto the couch, a harness with a handle is considered more ideal.
Is it a must for my Golden Retriever to wear a collar with his harness?
Even if your Golden Retriever is microchipped, I’ll still recommend that you wear a collar on him/her. There’s absolutely nothing to worry about if the collar and harness don’t interfere with one other. As a plus, the information on the collar might also be helpful should your Golden Retriever get lost.
Pet harnesses are designed in various sizes, colors, and types. Used for restraining your Golden Retriever, it not only works better but is more comfortable for your Golden Retriever than a collar when taking him/her for a nice easy walk.
A harness eases the stress on your Golden Retriever by distributing strain and pressure evenly across its back or chest rather than focus this pressure only on the neck as a regular collar does.
Armed with the details provided above, you should be in a better position to choose what dog harness is the best harness for a Golden Retriever. Just make sure to measure your dog for the right size to tenure you choose a good harness with the right fit too.