There’s no doubt that the golden retriever has become one of the USA’s most popular breeds.
Despite their brilliant qualities if you are not experienced with caring for Golden Retrievers then it can be very challenging, but don’t worry because today I’m going to share everything that you need to know about how to take care of a Golden Retriever.
To make things easy to navigate, I have listed out each topic separately below the relevant subheaders, so you’ll have no problems with finding what you need.
How to prepare for your golden retriever
1. The first thing you should before you get your new dog is to make sure your home is ready for their arrival. This includes cleaning, removing any obstructions or objects that may potentially hurt your dog too. For example, you may find that heavy unstable furniture that can be knocked over and fall on top of your dog so its best to clear it all out.
You’ll need to keep in mind that there’s a high chance they may chew your electric cords and your furniture so make sure most areas are clear if possible.
2. When your Golden isn’t exploring the new home and causing some mischief they’ll most probably be sleeping. As with humans, a good night’s sleep is necessary in order for your dog to be healthy physically and mentally.
Therefore you should invest in a high-quality bed for your dog that is the right size and also placed in a good location with good insulation so your dog can keep cool in the summer and warm in the winter.
3. Furthermore, you need to buy a lot of other necessary items such as leashes for training and walking that are made of high-quality material that will not cause any sort of irritation to your dog while also giving it a lot of freedom to move around. Other necessary equipment includes a dog brush, nail clippers and also cleaning supplies such as dog shampoo which is very important in order to keep your dog lice free.
4. Finally, you need to buy the necessary dog foods, supplements, and bowls where you serve your Golden Retriever its food.
The right way to feed your Golden Retriever
1. A lot of people think that it’s okay to simply feed their dog random pieces of meat such as ham and sausages from the fridge. However, if you want to keep your dog healthy you should aim to feed them mostly dog food that is specially made to provide your dog with all nutrients and vitamins needed. Just be sure to follow feeding guidelines so you can manage your dog’s weight properly too.
2. Don’t forget to keep your dog hydrated by refilling their water bowl as regularly as possible. This is even more important during hot weather when your Golden Retriever will be even more dehydrated.
3. Make sure to keep your dog’s dishes on regular intervals, a lot of owners may go weeks or even months without washing their dog’s bowls. This can lead to a lot of problems such as your dog falling ill as well as the plates becoming very hard to clean up if they have been left dirty for a long time as the food residue can harden up and become rock-like.
4. Moreover, it’s recommended to try and mix and match both dry, canned and fresh food in order to stop your dog getting bored of eating the same thing every day and it is also beneficial for your dog’s digestive system.
How to manage & train your Golden Retriever
1. Petting and stroking both go a long way, but you’ll need to be sure to take things easy at first whilst your dog gets used to this. Try not to put your hands near your dog’s face as this is known to antagonize them, instead of stroke the back of their head.
2. While stroking your dog you should be aware of actions that will signal to your Golden Retriever that you are looking to play with them and avoid them if that is not what you are currently trying to do. Some actions that you can signal this include patting the side of your dog.
3. An important step of interacting with your dog is training them to follow simple commands, dogs are very smart animals and with persistence, anyone can train their dog to follow basic commands that will help you keep control of your dog.
It’s recommended that if you want to see faster results when trying to train a dog to consult a certified professional however if you are on a budget you can also check out our top recommended online dog training program.
4. If you have children of your own or there are going to be a friend’s or family member’s children around your dog, then it’s important to try your best to introduce your dog and the children to each other to break the ice. Children can be a lot more touchy and loud which may scare or antagonize dogs that are not used to that kind of behavior.
5. An important step is to make sure to buy the right toys and equipment to keep your dog occupied and also to make the training process easier. Additionally buying some of your dog’s favorite treats and using them as a reward during training sessions can make the whole process a lot faster and easier.
How to wash your Golden Retriever
1. There’s no need to wash your Golden Retriever every time you take them out for a walk, as washing your dog too much can easily lead to skin irritations and problems. Instead, if there is a little bit of mud or dirt on your Golden, then you can brush or pat them off. The great part about Golden retrievers is that their fur is waterproof so it’s not long before they dry back off after a quick splash.
2. A good idea is to set out a plan where you give your pup a bath each month on the same day to keep things organized.
You’ll also need to make sure to have all your cleaning supplies and equipment such as brushes, dog shampoo, towels, and sprays ready to prevent leaving your dog unattended and wandering around dirty around your home.
3. Some dogs don’t enjoy bath time, but that shouldn’t hold you back from getting them into the tub for a good old wash on a regular basis. Washing your dog is absolutely necessary for their health so a quick dip is needed regardless of whether they like it or not.
Lucky for you, Golden retrievers are usually just fine with bath time, but you may find that your dog doesn’t like it. If so, then you should explore other ways to get them bathed is possible.
4. Once you have got your Golden Retriever in the shower or bathtub, it’s time to turn on the tap so the water is moderately warm and start to wet your dog’s fur.
5. The next step will be to apply the dog shampoo to your Golden and make sure to massage it all over your dog.
6. After that, it’s time to rinse off all the dog shampoo thoroughly to prevent any remaining on your dog. If your dog is really dirty you should repeat steps 4 to 6 again.
7. Thereafter you should dry your dog using a towel or a blow-dryer, it’s important to get your dog dry as soon as possible to avoid your dog falling ill. If the weather is really hot then you can leave your dog’s fur to dry out naturally in the heat.
8. The final step is to brush and groom the fur of your Golden Retriever to guarantee that they have a lush and soft fur coat.
3 Steps to clean your Golden Retrievers bed
1. As I previously mentioned, sleeping is a very important part of your dog’s life, but you’re also going to need to know how to wash dog bedding too. You’ll need to maintain a hygienic and comfortable environment for your Golden Retriever.
You can start off by taking all of the pillows, blankets and any other cushions and toys that your dog keeps in its bed that is made from a form of cloth.
You’ll need to put them all in the washing machine and make sure to use washing detergent and washing powder that is okay for your dog’s skin. In some cases, you’ll find that some detergents can leave a scent that causes your dog not to stay in their bed. Just make sure to check everything is fine for your dog before going ahead and using any unfamiliar products.
2. After you have put the contents of your dog’s bed that are washable in the washing machine, the next step is to clean the surfaces around your dog’s bed. A lot of dust and other debris is very bad to leave hanging around. If left long enough then it could cause your dog to have breathing problems later on down the road.
As they are breathing it in and over time it can lead to various breathing-related issues. Its as simple as a quick wipe down and hoover every few days and you should be just fine!
3. Don’t forget to use disinfectant for dogs which are usually sold in spray bottles along with towels or paper napkins in order to wipe and sanitize the surfaces around your dog’s bed as well.
Is your Golden Retriever happy?
1. Like humans, dogs are very smart and forward-thinking animals. Therefore to have a much better idea of what is up with your dog, you should educate yourself by reading books such as;
Or check out the brain training for dogs online course to learn in-depth training on obedience for your dog.
2. One factor that you can use to tell you if your dog is happy is eating habits. It’s common knowledge among veterinarians that dogs who are not eating are usually suffering from stress or anxiety in most cases.
3. The energy levels of your dog is also an important factor to look out for, a happy dog will continue to behave in their usual way such as running around in the field when you take it out as well as messing around at home. If your dog suddenly doesn’t want to play or go for their regular walk, then it may be worth looking into things further.
4. Always keep an eye out for how your dog’s eyes look and whether they become lethargic or slow at any point in time. These are all good indicators as to whether your dog is fit and well or not feeling up to scratch.
A few other signs include your dogs tail being flopped down or their ears sitting much lower than usual. These can all be good signs that there is something wrong.
5. Any kind of aggressive behavior can be a sign of pain or discomfort and if you are lucky enough to have a female, then an unusual behavior could indicate pregnancy. Make sure to keep your knowledge up to date and take each day as it comes as in most cases your experience will teach you more than you could learn elsewhere.
I hope that after reading my complete guide on how to take care of a Golden Retriever you can now prepare for your new dog in the right way. Be sure not to get too overwhelmed with the vast amounts of information that you may have read here or across the rest of the internet.
My advice is to take things to step by step and one day at a time. A lot of things will be trial and error but by returning back to this guide you should have no problem with knowing the right steps to take each time.